Friday, June 24, 2011

Old time Summer



I was reminiscing the other day about Summer.  Remember when you were a kid and it was the last day of school.  The party, the heat,  sticking your head out the bus window yelling goodbye to your friends as the bus drove away from the school for the last time.   Settling into Summer when you were a kid, it was long, hot and there were days you were bored with nothing to do?
I want that Summer back.
 I remember visiting with my friend’s mother one day.  They lived a few houses down the street and I always found it interesting to sit and talk with her.  She was a fellow Gemini and she was colorful, quirky, mystical, and most of all full of tales.  I must have been in about 7th grade and I wandered down to sit in her castle like house and  listen to a new story.  She greeted me with a smile and I settled into the sitting room off her kitchen.  She said to me “Do you know how many days in a row we have had without a drop of sunshine?”   No, I thought to myself, this is Summer, its warm- that is all I notice.  “No, how many?” I asked.  I don’t remember the exact number of days, but when she told me I thought, wow that is a lot of days in a  row without a glimpse of the sun.  My point here is as adults, we view Summer differently, as children we view it as a time to run free, play ball in the neighbor’s yard, ride our bikes to Macomb street, annual trip to Bob-lo, putting up a lemonade stand, catching fireflies and have sleepovers with our friends.  Can it ever be that simple again?  I hope so.  Enjoy your first weekend of the  Summer of 2011 and may the sun shine!


No comments:

Post a Comment