Friday, February 25, 2011

The Simple life????


Just spent about 9 hours without electricity and heat.  The first thing I noticed is how quiet it was.  Didn't hear the TV, on constantly in the other room, the humming of the refrigerator, the sound of the ice falling from the ice maker,  the clanging of the heater as the water passes through the radiators.  It's amazing the amount of background noise we have in our homes.  There I sat, what to do?  Can't wash the dishes, well if I did them by hand I could, I still had water.  Can't make coffee, warmed some cold coffee up on the stove.  Can't do the wash, could if I used a bucket and a wash board.  Can't vacuum, I can sweep with a broom.  Can't blow dry and curl my hair, no alternative there!  Ponytail????  Can't use the computer or TV, could read a book.  I came to the conclusion that I'm not sure I would have made it way back when.  I need electricity, gas and indoor plumbing.   So I did the only thing I could do, I took a nap.  "You just don't know what you got 'til it's gone!" Joni Mitchell was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment