Friday, January 14, 2011

Making it through winter with my pretty boots on.....


This has been a busy week for me, even though I am thoroughly immersed  in the bowels of winter.  This time of year is excruciatingly painful for me. It’s cold, boring and Spring is still so far away. It is how depression was born.  So, imagine how happy I was to have a week packed full of fun.  My first born daughter, child #2, celebrated her 27th birthday.  Well, I’m not sure having your child celebrate their 27th birthday is fun, because that is a slap into reality that you are no longer twenty something….  Nor have you been twenty something for quite some time!   In true birthday celebration form, we all gathered for dinner to celebrate.  Of course, it was Tuesday night when the driving conditions were deplorable.  We managed, and had fun at Mongolian BBQ, the birthday girls choice!  Child #4 came home for the festivities and stayed a few days.  Wednesday, another birthday celebration with my friend Rose.  It was a little belated celebration, but heck, every girl should stretch that into a birthday week after you hit the mid century mark (sorry Rose, I disclosed the decade you were born in).  We discovered a nice little spot to lunch.  Baxter’s Café right in Trafford Square.  I have been eyeing that place for several years now, wondering just what it was.  The windows are mirrored so I never could settle my curiosity by being a window shopper.  It’s attached to the church that occupies the old supermarket in that strip mall.  They have a menu similar to Panera with an array of yummy soups, salads, sandwiches and flat bread pizzas.  The young man behind the counter was delightful and we enjoyed ourselves holed up in a booth for several hours.  I think it will be my new lunch place….I went to church, are you proud of me!   Wednesday led to Thursday, which was January’s Townhall date.  My partner couldn’t make it, so I asked Laycee to join me in picking up the speakers.  I wasn’t real excited about the speaker, because quite frankly, I didn’t do my homework and until that morning, didn’t even know who I was picking up.  I received my instructions and I was off.  “Pick up Klea Blackhurst and Michael Rice at the Comfort Inn.”   Hmmmm, they don’t sound very interesting, it’s cold outside and I had to spiffy up my car the night before in the frigid weather.  Not in the mood.  I ran into the hotel lobby and there I was greeted by this woman who was a slight bit younger than me, red hair and full of energy.  She was an instant pick me up.  She had a strong cup of coffee karma.  I liked her!  Michael on the other hand, seemed a little sleepy eyed.  As they later stated, this was really early in the morning for them to perform, they are used to Broadway, and night clubs.  9am in a downriver community was a change of pace for them.  But, hey they were gonna give it their best shot.  And that they did.  A tribute to Ethel Merman. Wow, talk about a performance.  I loved it.  Klea with her booming voice and Michael so talented on the piano.  Laycee received an education on the days gone by and the entertainers of the past.  She got to meet a lot of my mature lady friends and I think she had a good time!  I on the other hand reminisced about the days when my sisters, and our neighborhood friends would perform the play Gypsy.  Belting out the Ethel Merman songs, horribly off key.  It was fun to pretend back in the day.  The ride back to the airport let us take a peek into the lives of two people who live among the glamour of NYC.  Ahhh, I envied that, or so I thought!  The day was winding down and we were invited to go up to the pilot house to listen to some music and sip a little wine.  This was the glamour of living in a small town.  We made ourselves comfortable in a dimly lit room listening to a guitar player and his drummer.  No hustle bustle, just great music, great friends and the realization that there is no place like home!  Dorothy was right.  Tonight, a little card playing, like the old folks do -and a weekend of football and some more birthday’s to celebrate.  Not a bad week for mid January!  



No comments:

Post a Comment